Weis Markets today said its newly expanded Carlisle Street store in Hanover features larger perishable and center store departments utilizing energy efficient equipment and systems that reduce the store's overall carbon footprint. The store, which is located at 860 Carlisle Street, added 3,700-square-feet in additional space and now totals 56,600-square-feet. Work on the project began in late 2008 and was completed in late October. “Essentially, we have rebuilt our Carlisle Street store – virtually everything in our strore is new. The perishable departments are larger and we’ve also expanded our center store departments,” said Dennis V. Curtin, Weis Markets Spokesman. “At the same time, we’ve installed equipment and systems which reduce our store’s carbon footprint. This will allow us to reduce our energy consumption and lessen the environmental impact of our store, which will be an important part of how we operate in the years ahead.” Grand Re-Opening activities began November 12. As part of the celebration, Weis Markets donated $10,000 to Hanover Hospital. Some of the store’s earth friendly features include:
- A glycol refrigeration system reducing the refrigerant charge to less than half that of a typical supermarket
- A new heat reclaim system which takes heat generated by the store’s refrigeration systems and uses it to heat the store during winter months and to produce hot water year round.
- Glass door dairy cases which reduce energy usage and keep the dairy aisle warm.
- Longer lasting and more energy efficient LED lighting in the store’s dairy and frozen cases.
- Frozen Case motion detectors to turn off the case lights when nobody is shopping this aisle.
The newly expanded store has:
- An expanded produce department with an increased selection of organic and ethnic produce
- An expanded deli with a sit-down café
- Larger dairy, frozen and grocery departments, which offer increased selection and more gourmet and ethnic products
- An expanded pharmacy
- New décor and a new entrance.
About Weis Markets: Founded in 1912, Weis Markets is a Mid-Atlantic food retailer operating 165 stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, New Jersey and West Virginia.